The Building Services unit has the role of undertaking the statutory duties of Municipal Building Surveyor and to providing a quality building service.
The Department has specific responsibilities in:
- Providing an efficient, quality building surveying and inspection service.
- Administration and enforcement of the Building Act and Regulations.
- Providing quality customer service to all clients in assisting with general building applications and enquiries.
- Ensuring compliance of non-Council existing buildings with regard to fire safety requiements.
- Identifying buildings that do not meet the minimum health, safety and amenity standards for habitation within the municipality.
- Maintaining registers and database records in accordance with the Building Act and Regulations.
- Issuing flood, property and building approval certificates.
- Mapping of hazardous areas - flood, termite and bushfire areas.
- Repairs and preventative maintenance of Council buildings.
- Community safety for dangerous buildings - swimming pools, essential safety measures.
The Department is responsible for providing the following Council services:
- Archival Building Information - plan and document retrievals
- Asset protection
- Building and occupancy permits
- Building inspections
- Complaints regarding buildings
- Consent to demolish a building (section 29A Building Act 1993)
- Community safety
- Council consent and report for building application variations
- Declared Bushfire Areas
- Declared Termite Areas
- Enforcement and compliance of the Building Act and Regulations
- General building advice
- Hoarding permits
- Maintenance of essential safety measures
- Occupancy permits - habitation of a building
- Occupanyc permits for places of public entertainment
- Property informatin
- Property file search
- Protection of existing Council assets and property
- Prosecution for illegal building works
- Registers - building permits, occupancy permits and notices and orders
- Regulatory advice
- Safe buildings
- Siting consents for temporary structures
- Stormwater legal point of discharge
- Swimming pool and spa safety