Kindergarten Central Enrolment Policy
The aim of this policy is to ensure the fair allocation of kindergarten places for those kindergartens participating in the City of Greater Shepparton Central Enrolment Scheme ensuring allocations meet the requirements of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD), the Department of Employment, Education and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) and the National Discrimination law
- Children who will have their fourth birthday by 30 April in the year of attendance at a state funded kindergarten are eligible for enrolment.
- Applications for the initial allocation of places close on 31 July of the year prior to the year of attendance at kindergarten.
- Only enrolments made on the current Kindergarten Central Enrolment Form will be accepted. Parents/Guardians should indicate their first choice of kindergarten.
- Where enrolment applications at any one service exceed eligible places, all names will be allocated to the service by a random ballot conduct by the Central Enrolment Officer.
- The ballot will occur within five (5) working days of 31 July.
- The ballot will continue until all names are selected. Names selected after the available places are filled, will be placed in order of selection on the waiting list for that service.
Where a Childcare Service Provides a State Funded Kindergarten Program
Where a childcare service provides a state funded kindergarten program, children attending the centre of preference one (1) or more full days per week in a long day care program prior to the kindergarten year, will be given priority of access to
that centre's state funded kindergarten program. (This one day does not include fun group or 3 year old programs.)
Childcare centres providing a state funded kindergarten program will provide Council with a list of eligible children by 31 July each year. This priority does not apply to late applications or change of preference received after 31 July.
Where a funded kindergarten program is provided on the site of a Registered Primary School
Where a funded kindergarten program is provided on the site of a registered primary school, children with siblings currently attending primary school on site of the kindergarten of first preference will be given priority of access to that centre's funded kindergarten program. This priority does not apply to late applications or change of preference received after 31 July.
- Parents/Guardians of children not allocated a place in their kindergarten of first preference will be notified by Greater Shepparton City Council. At this time they will be notified of available places and given the option of accepting a place
at an available kindergarten, or putting their child's name on the kindergarten of choice waiting list. However, there is no guarantee of a place becoming available at that kindergarten. It is not possible to accept a place at a kindergarten and remain on the waiting list for another kindergarten.
- Applications received after the closing date will be placed on the central waiting list for consideration after initial enrolments are processed. Placements from the waiting list are made according to kindergarten preferences and
- Parents will be notified in writing by the kindergarten of placement by the end of term three. If confirmation to accept the place is not received by the kindergarten by the notified date, the place will be offered to the next child on the
kindergarten waiting list.
- Where vacancies occur at a kindergarten, a place is offered to the first child on that kindergarten's waiting list.
- Final acceptance of a child at any kindergarten is only given after proof-of-age has been provided (e.g. Birth Certificate, Maternal and Child Health Record).
- Should you wish to make a change of preference, you are required to complete a ‘Change of Preference Form'. Once you have completed this form, your new preference will be updated on the system. Change of Preference forms
submitted after 31 July are considered under the same conditions as late enrolments.Change of Preference Forms are available by contacting the Central Enrolment Officer on (03) 5832 9807 or downloading this form from www.greatershepparton.com.au/preschool. They are only valid after being date stamped at the Council Office and if an original enrolment has been submitted at the Council.
- Children transferring from areas outside the City of Greater Shepparton after 31 July are considered under the same conditions as late enrolments.
- This enrolment scheme does not offer an option for deferring your enrolment, if you wish to withdraw your child for this year you will need to complete a new Central Enrolment Form for the following year.
- Should you wish to cancel/withdraw your child's enrolment, please write to the Central Enrolment Officer, Locked Bag 1000 Shepparton Vic 3632 or phone (03) 5832 9807. This will assist us to update our records and offer the place to the next child on the waiting list.
- Due to the State Government Kindergarten Funding Guidelines, kindergartens are unable to guarantee more than one year of funded kindergarten, unless exceptional circumstances exist and prior approval is granted by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
In the instance that a family with twins/triplets has one child receiving a place and the other on the waiting list the following will occur:
- The family will be offered the available place and placed first on the waiting list.
- Alternatively the family may choose to accept places for all children at an alternative service.
Parents are encouraged to visit their preferred kindergarten to meet with the staff and discuss relevant issues prior to enrolment.
Applications should be lodged at: Children's and Youth Services
Greater Shepparton City Council
90 Welsford Street
Shepparton Vic 3630
Or Postal Address:
Locked Bag 1000
Shepparton Vic 3632
Receipts for enrolment forms will not be issued. If you wish to ensure safe delivery either send your enrolment form by registered post or hand deliver it as above.
Enrolment forms are only valid after being date stamped by the Central Enrolment Officer at the Council Office, 90 Welsford Street, Shepparton.
Enquires regarding the Central Enrolment Policy should be directed to: Central Enrolment Co-ordinator
Greater Shepparton City Council
Telephone: (03) 5832 9807
Greater Shepparton City Council complies with the Information Privacy Principle contained in the Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic) and the Health Records Act 2001.